Top 10 Skills Required to Become a Ethical Hacker –Most ethical hacking jobs require at least a bachelor’s degree in computer engineering, or a related field. Coursework can be substituted for sufficient experience in some cases.
Top 10 Skills Required to Become a Ethical Hacker
Top 10 Skills Required to Become a Ethical Hacker –Many people still feel disgusting when the terminologies like hacker and hacking are mentioned, which mostly, is associated with the digital domain. Although times are changing and people have also started to explore and expand their horizon of thought towards all other professions including this, ethical hacking is a certified skill to achieve through certain skills which people develop by studying thoroughly in the IT sector.
If you’re someone who is looking to pursue a career in ethical hacking and are puzzled with the specific skills needed to be a white hat hacker, then today’s article will help you entirely to understand the Whys and whereabouts of all skills required to become a ethical hacker. But before moving to the skills directly, let’s first understand the roles and responsibilities of an ethical hacker.
List of Skills Required to Become a Ethical Hacker
Top 10 Skills Required to Become a Ethical Hacker –Here we have shown a full guide about skills required to become a Ethical hacker and the roles and responsibilities in detail.
What are Skills Needed to be a White Hat Hacker?
Top 10 Skills Required to Become a Ethical Hacker –White hat hackers and black hat hackers differ mostly in their motivation. White hat hackers assist firms in identifying system flaws and implementing the necessary fixes. As opposed to black hat hackers, who unlawfully, maliciously, and frequently for personal gain access hack systems. Gray hat hackers fall in between the two extremes. A combination of black hat and white hat tactics is used by grey hat hackers.
Without the owner’s knowledge or consent, grey hat hackers frequently scan a system for weaknesses. If problems are discovered, they notify the owner and may occasionally ask for a modest charge to have the issue fixed. By breaking into organizations’ websites and networks without authorization, some gray-hat hackers prefer to think they are benefiting the companies in some way. In order to prevent data breaches, businesses typically hire ethical hackers to do penetration tests on their hardware and software. In addition to testing, ethical hackers have cyber security positions within a company, such as:
- Cybersecurity analyst
- Information security analyst
- Intrusion detection analyst
- IT security engineer
- IT security administrator
- Network security analyst
- Penetration tester
Top 10 Skills Required to Become a Ethical Hacker –Now, talking about the eligibility criteria, there are plenty of reputed certifications available for ethical hackers like EC-Council and many others wherein you can score by employing the same tools and information as a malevolent hacker to analyze the security posture of a target system while acting legally and legitimately. This involves demonstrating an understanding of computer system security and searching for holes and vulnerabilities in target systems. Similar certifications like EC-Council are also provided by the following authorized certifications:
- CompTIA Security+
- Cisco’s CCNA Security
- Offensive Security Certified Professional (OSCP) Certification
- SANS GIAC
Let’s now move to the set of skills required to become a ethical hacker in detail.
1. Programming Skills
Top 10 Skills Required to Become a Ethical Hacker –One of the prime skills needed to be a white hat hacker is programming knowledge. Writing code that a computational device can understand and use to carry out different commands is what is meant by programming. As a result, understanding the numerous programming languages used by hackers as well as the languages necessary for hacking is essential if you want to be an ethical hacker. There are several programming languages, however, not all of them are employed for hacking. The programming languages that ethical hackers employ are listed below:
- HTML – Web pages are written in HTML, a cross-platform language. HTML forms are used to collect data in log-in forms and other online data entry processes. You can easily find and take advantage of flaws in the code if you know how to write and parse HTML.
- C & C++ – C and C++ are cross-platform languages that offer low level programming. When creating your own rootkits, exploits, shell codes, or understanding and improving upon already existing ones, they are quite helpful.
- SQL – Another language that may be used across platforms to connect with databases is SQL. Using SQL injection, weak web application login techniques may be avoided, database data can be deleted, etc.
- Python, Ruby, Bash, Perl – High-level, cross-platform programming languages like Perl, Ruby, Bash, and Python are also available. They are useful when creating automation tools and scripts. The learned information may also be applied to comprehend and customize the currently existing tools.
- PHP – PHP is a server-side programming language that is also cross-platform. In addition to processing HTML forms, it also completes other unique duties. A custom PHP application might be created to alter web server settings and expose the system to threats.
- Python – Network tool development is made simple by useful Python packages like Pulsar, NAPALM, NetworkX, etc. As a scripting language, Python offers incredible performance for little applications, which is another reason ethical hackers frequently create short scripts. Due to the enormous community surrounding Python, any programming-related questions are promptly answered. Additionally, mastering Python makes a number of different job choices available to you.
- Java, CSharp, Visual Basic, VBScript – According to the situation and necessity, different languages like Java, CSharp, Visual Basic, and VBScript may be beneficial. Additionally, Java and C# are cross-platform languages, but Visual Basic and VBScript are exclusively compatible with Windows OS.
2. Computer Networking Skills
Top 10 Skills Required to Become a Ethical Hacker To become an ethical hacker networking is an important skill. A computer network is an interconnection of various hardware. Sometimes known as hosts, they are connected via various channels in order to deliver or receive data or media.
- Understanding networks like Subnetting, Suoernetting, DHCP, and others is a necessary component of networking expertise for hackers.
- The exploration of the numerous interconnected machines in a network and the possible security dangers that this can cause assists with ethical hacking. An ethical hacker who is skilled in networking will be able to deal with these dangers.
- Knowing network models, internet protocols, and IP addresses can help you develop your ethical hacking abilities and become a competent hacker.
- Additionally, you need to be knowledgeable about network interface cards, servers, clients, access points, transmission media, and routers.
3. Linux Skills
Top 10 Skills Required to Become a Ethical Hacker Based on the Linux Kernel, Linux is an open-source, free operating system. Under the terms of the GNU General Public License, anybody can alter and distribute Linux’s source code for commercial or non-commercial purposes.
- For ethical hackers, Linux’s security is the key benefit of learning the operating system.
- Compared to other operating systems, Linux is the safest.
- Linux contains some viruses, making it less vulnerable than any other operating system, even if 100% security is not guaranteed.
- Furthermore, no antivirus software is needed. Thus, knowledge of Linux is essential for hacking.
4. Basic Hardware Knowledge
Top 10 Skills Required to Become a Ethical Hacker For ethical hacking, a person has to grasp the fundamentals of computer hardware. The actual components of a computer, such as the motherboard, mouse, keyboard, graphics card, sound card, speakers, and central processor unit (CPU), are referred to as computer hardware. Software, on the other hand, is a collection of instructions that may be stored and executed by hardware.
Top 10 Skills Required to Become a Ethical Hacker As a result, in order to hack a machine run by a computer, a person has to be familiar with the machine or how it operates. He or she must then gain access to the computer that runs the machine. So, the first step to being an ethical hacker is to have a fundamental understanding of hardware. Having a fundamental understanding of the hardware to comprehend how a motherboard function, how data is sent through USB, and how CMOS or BIOS interact with one another.
5. Database Skills
Top 10 Skills Required to Become a Ethical Hacker Another of the essential skills needed to be a white hat hacker required is database skills. All databases are created and managed by database management systems, or DBMS.
- Despite the superior utility of database systems like Microsoft SQL Server, MySQL, and Oracle, their security flaws have come to light.
- It is essential to make sure that this application is hack-proof since accessing a database where all the data is kept would put the company in great danger.
- An ethical hacker needs a thorough understanding of the Database, various database engines, and data schemes in order to assist the organization in developing a strong DBMS.
6. Computer Skills
Top 10 Skills Required to Become a Ethical Hacker –In order to identify possible dangers, hackers attack computer systems. So, one of the talents required for ethical hacking is having a solid understanding of computers. Computer systems expertise is necessary for an ethical hacker. Utilizing computers and computer technologies requires computer hacking expertise. You must have a working understanding of hacking in order to become an ethical hacker. A potential ethical hacker can succeed if they possess the bare minimum of computer literacy.
- Data processing, managing digital files and making presentations are all examples of fundamental computer abilities.
- Programming, database management, and spreadsheet computation are examples of advanced computer abilities.
- MS Office with all of its products, spreadsheets, email, database management, social media, the web, and other computer programs are some of the fundamental computing abilities.
Also Read: How to
Cancel Chegg Study Subscription
7. Reverse Engineering Knowledge
Top 10 Skills Required to Become a Ethical Hacker –Reverse engineering is the process of obtaining, via an examination of a product’s code, information about its layout, functional requirements, and features. Information is produced from a software database that is built.
- Reverse engineering’s goal is to make a system easier to comprehend and to create the necessary documentation for a legacy system in order to speed up maintenance work.
- Reverse engineering is a common practice in software security to verify that the system is free of any significant security holes or vulnerabilities.
- A system is made more resilient and is subsequently shielded from malware and hackers. A technique known as ethical hacking is used by certain developers to the point where they actually hack their own systems to find flaws.
8. Additional SQL Skills
Top 10 Skills Required to Become a Ethical Hacker –For an ethical hacker to be successful, SQL knowledge is crucial. Programming languages are necessary for hacking, and SQL is one of them. Additionally, cross-platform web hacking uses SQL as a language for database communication. Bypassing lax login security measures, erasing data from the database, and other operations are all possible using SQL injection. Understanding SQL is a need for an ethical hacker in order to:
- Learn to conduct a SQL injection against login.
- Discover how to add metadata to the output of a SQL injection
- Learn what error-based SQL injection is intended to do.
- Create the SQL injection-ready syntax to load a file into a web page.
- Give an example of using SQL injection to write to a file.
- Find tools for automating SQL injection attacks.
Also Read: 4 Ways to Split String by Delimiter in SQL
9. Cryptography Skills
Top 10 Skills Required to Become a Ethical Hacker –The study of and use of methods for secure communication when there are outside parties present, also referred to as adversaries is known as cryptography. It deals with creating and assessing procedures that stop nefarious third parties from obtaining information exchanged between two companies and therefore observing the several facets of information security.
In order to render a communication unreadable to hackers, cryptography involves turning a plain text message into ciphertext, which is an unintelligible form, during transmission. It is the responsibility of an ethical hacker to ensure that no information is leaked among internal employees.
10. Problem Solving Skills
Top 10 Skills Required to Become a Ethical Hacker –Being a strategic thinker and innovative problem solver are essential traits for an ethical hacker. In addition to the technological abilities mentioned above, problem-solving abilities enable one to identify the root of an issue and discover a suitable solution. Through the use of ethical hacking techniques, it is possible to stop more complicated cyberattacks.
Ethical hackers must possess critical thinking skills and problem-solving aptitude. An aspirant may need to acquire new techniques to make sure that any security infractions are properly assessed in the problem-solving skills for the ethical hacking course. Numerous tests are required, as well as a creative flair for coming up with fresh approaches to the issue.
Hence, these are the specific skills needed to be a white hat hacker,
Top 10 Skills Required to Become a Ethical Hacker –Above were all the list of skills required to become a ethical hacker with a computer blaze of a know-it-all type. Hacking is an altogether course that requires a lot of skill and passion and only working behind on our drive and organization’s servers seamlessly without any worries is all possible due to ethical hacking. We do not promote any unethical hacking through our articles hence all such articles should be utilized for study purposes only. Do share your valuable feedback about the info we’ve mentioned and also share your experiences as to how many of these skills you possess as a programmer or also this helped you even a single bit to know about your interests in the career as a hacker. Keep reading and we’ll see you in another article with another topic.